Archives and Special Collections
Thomas Jefferson University
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107-5587
Fax: (215) 923-3203
The Archives and Special Collections of Thomas Jefferson University document the history of the health sciences, particularly 19th and 20th century medicine and medical education. The Archives is the repository for official records of the University and its three academic divisions (Jefferson Medical College, founded in 1824; the College of Health Professions; and the College of Graduate Studies, the latter two established in 1969), and the Health Services Division, including Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. Rare book collection of medical texts totals 1,600 volumes; 15th - 20th centuries. SERVICES: Reference service pertaining to holdings (fee charged to non-University researchers when not visiting in person); in-house photocopying; and photographic reproduction.
University Archives: University publications and official records of Thomas Jefferson University Corporation, the Board of Trustees, the three colleges, and the Health Services Division. Manuscripts: Personal papers of Jefferson alumni, faculty, and administrators; pamphlets. Book Collections: Rare and/or historical books documenting the history of medicine, particularly anatomy and obstetrics/gynecology (approx. 3,760 volumes). Collections include the P. Brooke Bland Collection, featuring several dozen early printed books; the Jeffersoniana Collection (approx. 1,420 volumes): books written or edited by Jefferson faculty or staff; history reference collection (approx. 500 volumes). Art and Photographs: Approx. 5,000 prints, slides, and works of art on paper. Memorabilia collections include approx. 500 medical instruments, apparatus, garments, and other objects. PHDIL, the Philadelphia Historical Digital Image Library, is a cooperative grant-funded project of the Scott Library of Thomas Jefferson University and The Historical Society of Pennsylvania. The online database contains over 3,000 images, which document health care and medical education in Philadelphia during the 19th and early 20th centuries.