Roosevelt Warm Springs Institute for Rehabilitation
Warm Springs, Georgia 31830-2281
The archives at Roosevelt Institute contain material that illustrates the history of the organization as a major center for the treatment of polio. The most significant part of the collection is the approximately 15,000 negatives, slides, and photographs of patient care and activities at the Institute dating from the late 1920s to the early 1970s. Most of the images are details of the many orthotic devices and assistive devices prescribed to help the patients with their daily activities. The collection also includes 30-40 hours of film showing the use of these devices in practice. Franklin Delano Roosevelt founded the Institute in 1927. The Institute is now operated by the state of Georgia as a comprehensive rehabilitation center. SERVICES: Photocopying, photo and video reproduction and research coordination.
The collection consists of 60 linear feet of miscellaneous paper records from the 70-year history of Roosevelt Institute including some of the papers of Dr. Robert Bennett and Dr. C. E. Irwin, some of the business office records, and daily census reports, plus 7,000 negatives (1927-1970), 3,000 photographic prints (1927-1970), patient scrapbooks, annual reports, newsletters, and memorabilia.