Rush University Medical Center Archives
Chicago, Illinois 60612-5500
Fax: (312) 942 -3342
Rush University Medical Center traces its history to the charter of Rush Medical College, its oldest component. Rush Medical College was founded March 2, 1837, two days before the incorporation of the city of Chicago. The foundation of the Rush Archives lies in the initiatives of concerned Rush faculty who mourned the loss of valuable records in the Great Chicago Fire of 1871.
The collections of the Rush University Medical Center Archives contain the historic administrative records of the Medical Center and Rush University and its four colleges (Rush Medical College, Rush College of Nursing, Graduate College, and College of Health Sciences). The Rush Archives also includes the historic records of its predecessor and affiliated institutions, including Presbyterian Hospital, Presbyterian Hospital School of Nursing, St. Luke's Hospital, St. Luke's Hospital School of Nursing, Presbyterian-St. Luke's Hospital, Presbyterian-St. Luke's Hospital School of Nursing, and Central Free Dispensary. The collection includes the personal papers of physicians, nurses, administrators, and alumni related to those institutions; a large collection of photographs and audiovisual material; artifacts; oral history interviews; and digital assets.
Internal reference requests are given precedence. External requests are addressed as time allows. However, the Rush Archives webpage will lead researchers to a number of digital resources that may meet their information needs.
The collection consists of more than 3000 linear feet of records relating to Rush University Medical Center, 2003 to the present; Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center, 1969 to 2003; Rush University, 1972 to the present; Rush Medical College, 1837-1941 and 1969 to the present; Rush College of Nursing, 1972 to the present; Graduate College, 1974 to the present; College of Health Sciences, 1972 to the present; Presbyterian Hospital, 1883-1956; Presbyterian School of Nursing, 1903- 1956; St. Luke's Hospital, 1864-1956; St. Luke's School of Nursing, 1885-1956; Presbyterian-St. Luke's Hospital, 1956-1969; Presbyterian-St. Luke's School of Nursing, 1956-1969; Central Free Dispensary, 1867-1961, including photographs and audiovisual material; artifacts; oral history interviews; paintings; textiles; and digital assets.