Dr. Samuel D. Harris National Museum of Dentistry
Baltimore, Maryland 21201-1504
Fax: (410) 706-8313
The museum was established shortly after the founding of the Baltimore College of Dental Surgery (the first dental college in the world) in 1840. Initially, the museum consisted of pathological dental specimens; however, as the school’s reputation grew, prominent dentists donated artifacts. In 1923 the Baltimore College of Dental Surgery merged with the University of Maryland’s dental department, and the museum’s collection was expanded. In 1988 the museum was reorganized as the National Museum of Dentistry. In 1996 the museum occupied its present facility, a 1904 building that originally housed the Dental Department of the University of Maryland, located on the campus of the University of Maryland at Baltimore. In 2003 the U. S. Congress designated the museum as the official museum of the dental profession. The National Museum of Dentistry is a Smithsonian Affiliate museum. SERVICES: Permanent exhibition, "32 Terrific Teeth", MouthPower®, changing exhibitions, and educational programs. Photocopies at the discretion of the curator. Hours: Wednesday though Saturday 10:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m., and Sunday 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
The National Museum of Dentistry maintains one of the finest collections of dental poster art in the world. Dental cabinets, chairs, drills, units, X-ray machines, operative hand instruments, surgical instruments (including 16th century pelicans, extraction turnkeys, and forceps) make up the bulk of the collection. Rare dental books, photographs, prints, and archival material from the Baltimore College of Dental Surgery and the University of Maryland Dental School are in its holdings. The collection also includes the "Conversations with Outstanding Leaders in Dentistry" series of oral history interviews, conducted by the International College of Dentists, USA section.