Northwestern Memorial Hospital Archives
Chicago, Illinois 60616-1122
Fax: (312) 926-6957
The Archives collections include administrative records of Northwestern Memorial Hospital and its predecessor institutions including: Chicago Wesley Memorial Hospital; Passavant Memorial Hospital; the Chicago Lying-in Hospital Dispensary; the Maxwell Street Dispensary and Chicago Maternity Center; Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital; Chicago Memorial Hospital; and Henrotin Hospital. Other holdings include a non-circulating library; student records; biographical files and personal papers; records of support organizations and auxiliary boards; photographs; medical and surgical instruments; scrapbooks, artifacts and memorabilia; oral histories and audio visual collections. Access to collections by qualified researchers is by application and prior appointment only. SERVICES: reference and photocopying.
The Northwestern Memorial Hospital Archives contains approximately 4,000 linear feet of records from Northwestern Memorial Hospital 1972-present; Chicago Wesley Memorial Hospital 1888-1972; Passavant Memorial Hospital 1865-1972; the Maxwell Street Dispensary 1895-1932; the Chicago Maternity Center 1932-1973; Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital c. 1876-1924; Chicago Memorial Hospital 1924-1954; Chicago Polyclinic/Henrotin Hospital 1886-1985; Wesley Memorial Hospital School of Nursing 1890-1972; Passavant/James Ward Thorne School of Nursing 1898-1972; Wesley-Passavant School of Nursing 1972-1981. Other collections include the Joseph B. DeLee Papers 1894-1942; Deering Family Papers 1905-1925; Loyal Davis, M.D. Papers 1924-1981; and materials related to hospital construction/architecture; local medical history; and Chicago medical philanthropy